Monday, November 7, 2011

Meeting My Costa Rican Host Family

Tried to take the Golden Bean coffee tour in the little village of Atirro when I left the hotel. It wass closed because it was Sunday.  Maybe I'll try again on Saturday when I return to the hotel.


My GPS knows the way to San Jose (the capitol) and apparently the way to almost everywhere else in the country.  It decided to have a little fun with me looking for an ATM when I pulled in to Turrialba around 11:30 AM.  I finally found one next door to the Rawlings baseball factory--one of the town's things that bring it what little notoriety it has.


Then I went looking for a restaurant for lunch.  The GPS felt like it had done its job when we came to the Hotel Wegelia (not the one I was looking for).  No big deal, went shopping at a big supermarket and bought a few things to bring to the house.  The bartender was very nice--he told me that I couldn't buy a telephone card on Sunday to use the pay phone.  All the shops that sell them were closed.


That was a bit of a problem since I needed to call Lili, my host Mom, to meet her after lunch.  Problem solved when he volunteered the phone at the hotel.  A great example of how friendly and helpful everyone here is.  Here's his picture--his attitude: pura vida all the way!



My Costa Rican mom came and picked me up at the hotel and I followed her home in the rental car.  Great folks and a very comfortable house.  They are retired and volunteered to be my guides during the week after classes end each day.  

Lili and I took a walk to see the school and the central part of town.  Then came back here and relaxed with an Imperial before dinner.  They don't eat dinner; they have a big lunch.  Ended up the day watching the movie "Casper" with Spanish sub-titles, a bit of a soccer game and very strange--some of the first half of the Steelers-Ravens game.  I tried to give Alphonso a commentary in Spanish--not that easy to do.

I hit the sack around 9 Tican time and slept like a baby until 5 when my alarm went off.

Next post:  First Day of School...  Here's a picture from the street of the school.


1 comment:

  1. How are your Spanish football terms? that's got to be tricky. Casper in Spanish must have been interesting too.

    ReplyDelete